Sunday, November 27, 2011

thanksgiving on the virginia farm

Every year the Palmers head down to the old Palmer farm. It used to be run by Colton's Dad's Uncle, but when he passed away 10 years ago, his daughter Sarah and her husband Bob took it over.

The large Estate that used to be on the property burned many many years ago. They live in what once was the "servants house" - and have expanded on it a bit.




The joke is none of the animals are quite right. The dog was raised by the cats. The horse thinks he is a cow. The peacocks were raised with chickens.. and so on. Also, most of the animals are rescue animals.....so really its a farm of love :)







I made my Grandma's rolls, green bean cassarolle and fruit melba for dessert! We had an awesome spread on the table by 2pm.




I fed the scraps to the chickens....






Then we walked the farm and acres of land before sunset.













I learned that horses breath on each other to figure out who the other horse is.... I learned this while I was trying to give the horse a kiss... BIG HUGE nostrils open up and YUP I got a nice wiff of that horse's "scent".






We took the traditional family Christmas Card photo at the farm...  (not sure if this one will make it this year... we are missing Damon! )



Then I tried to get Colton to do a jumping photo with me... "on the count of three jump.. okay? One, two , three, jump!!" ...then this is what i got....







Can you spot the Peacock? 



The whole time I was trying to get a photo of me with a peacock. There were 6 so you think it would be easy! 

Colton followed me around with a camera as I tried to sneak up on them and get in the same frame...with out the giddy dog scaring them away! ... well I finally did it and I turn around to say "did you get that?!" and I find Colton kneeling on the ground petting the cat and saying "gooood kitty gooood kitty". 

So the shot wasn't captured.

But I guess it just goes to show what animal lovers those Palmers are. 




Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend, I know we did. I am grateful for the beauty that I live in and the wonderful Family we always have around! 

Happy Thanksgiving weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment