Last Saturday I tagged along with the guys. Colton's scouts were heading down to Arlington Cemetery to help place wreaths on all of the headstones, and I didn't want to miss out!
I guess I assumed a few different scout troops would show up, we would each have over 200 wreaths to lay a piece and it would take around 2 -3 hours. FALSE. Anyone could come and TONS were there!
We couldn't even get to the exit on the freeway there were so many people, scouts, buses, youth groups, all coming to help lay wreaths.

They had large trucks placed through-out the cemetery. Anyone could walk up, grab a box for their group and then pick a spot and start laying. Colton said it felt like how it would be when the world is ending. Huge crowds scavenging for whatever they can get out of the back of a truck..... and he was right! Those trucks ran out fast then you would see HUGE groups migrating to the next one.

Before laying the wreath, we were to say the persons name, place the wreath, then have a moment of silence for that person. It was a pretty powerful and humbling experience.


(Colton instructing his scouts.)



I love this. I love watching him interacting with the young men. You can tell they really all look up to him. At one point he pulled out his phone and pulled up some key that told what the religious symbol on every headstone meant. The boys LOVED it, and as we walked all around they kept discovering new religions.

(We don't know Clarence, he just happens to have a good view from his plot.)
Wreath laying was nice way to get the month of focusing on Christ and serving others started off right.


I love that photo of you guys at the bottom. Gorgeous!
ReplyDelete